Ephesians 6.1-9 Children and Bondservants
Ephesians 6.1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
Profound & Practical ~ The Book to the Ephesians 6.1-9
- Almost every kid gets in trouble sooner or later. Tell an amusing story of when you got into trouble for disobeying your parents as a child. Grinning Face
- Discuss the difference between obedience and honor in verses 1 and 2.
- What does verse 3 state are the benefits of such honor?
- Why is verse 4 important? Did you ever feel exasperated from your parents growing up?
- Deep Question: Discuss the peculiar situation of the fact that the Bible addresses the reality of slavery within that flawed system, and not just dismisses the system outright by opposing it.
- Are you surprised that the Bible instructs bondservants to obey their masters, rather than just oppose slavery? What do you make of this?
- Let’s apply this passage to the employer employee relationship. What common workplace problem does verse 6 address?
- Read 1 Tim. 6.2 and discuss the common workplace misconception that this also addresses.
- How is verse 7 a key to all working relationships?
- What encouragement are we given in verse 8?
- Much in the same way that fathers were addressed earlier, what does the scripture say to bosses in verse 9?
- Discuss the all-important significance that this passage concludes with a reminder there is no partiality with God.
- What do you find most challenging about this passage?
- What do you find most encouraging about this passage?
Ephesians 5.22-33 Wives & Husbands
Ephesians 5.33 However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
Profound & Practical ~ The Book to the Ephesians 5.22-33
- What was some of the best marriage advice you’ve ever been given?
- What was some bad advice you’ve been given over the years?
- Do you think you personally are more prone to be a person of submission or assertiveness?
- How does this effect your ability to apply Eph. 5.21 to your life consistently?
- Why do you think the Lord commands Christians to be submitting to one another anyway?
- Look up Phil. 2.3-4 and discuss what you read in these verses that you like & what challenges you most.
- Ephesians 5.22-33 is speaking directly to wives & husbands. Why do you think the Lord chose to address married people in the first place?
- Discuss the fact that there are twice as many verses written to the husband as to the wife in this passage. Why do you think this is the case?
- Eph. 5.22-24 tells wives to submit. Why might this command prove to be difficult?
- How far does this passage tell us the submission of the wife should go?
- Eph. 5.25-30 tells husbands to love. Why might this command prove to be difficult?
- How far does this passage tell us the love of the husband should go?
- How might some people misunderstand these passages?
- How might even some Christians try to avoid these principles?
- Do you think verse 31 is accepted by most in our society today?
- How does this verse fly in the face of political correctness in our culture?
- According to verse 32, what is God’s purpose for marriage in our society today?
- In 5.33, what commands are repeated and why do you think they are?
- Finish this thought: What I dislike most about this passage is…
- Finish this thought: What I like most about this passage is…
Ephesians 5.15-21 And Another…7 Things
Ephesians 5.15 Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise…
Profound & Practical ~ The Book to the Ephesians 5.15-21
- Have you ever had an accident because you weren’t looking carefully? If so, share your story.
- Why do you think the Lord tells us to look carefully in Ephesians 5.15?
- How can we tell when someone is not looking carefully?
- Why is verse 16 important? Can you think of some practical ways to apply this verse?
- What are some things that serve as distractions to applying verse 17 in our day?
- What are some things that serve as helpful to applying verse 17? (see also 2 Tim. 3.16)
- How is a person getting drunk and being filled with the Holy Spirit very opposite of one another?
- How is a person getting drunk and being filled with the Holy Spirit similar to one another?
- Discuss the two directions for worship that we are given in verse 19.
- What is your personal favorite way to worship God among the choices that we are given in this verse?
- How is verse 20 difficult but important?
- How is verse 21 difficult but important?
- Of the 7 characteristics that we are given in this passage, which one do you like the most?
- Of the 7 characteristics that we are given in this passage, which one do you struggle the most to do?
- What is the main thing you will take from this passage of scripture?
No Discussion Questions